Open the Miami Tax Guide on your Phone or update your browser

We've noticed you're currently using an old version of Internet Explorer. We are working to make the Miami Tax Guide compatible with old browsers. In the meantime, please open this site on your phone or consider updating your browser.

HOW DO I file?

How to file if you’re undocumented

If you don’t have a Social Security number, you will need an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) to file your taxes.

Keep in mind: If you’re claiming any dependents on your taxes, they will need a Social Security number or an ITIN, too.

To get an ITIN you need to prove your identity to someone the IRS trusts.

  • You can verify your identity and apply for an ITIN with a Certified Acceptance Agent.

    - We recommend a trusted Miami community organization called Branches. They're happy to help if you give them a call at (786) 650-2007.

    - Here's a full list of Certified Acceptance Agents in Florida.
  • Another option is to mail this form, along with your original passport or other original proof of identity document, but it's usually easier to contact a Certified Acceptance Agent.

Other things people want to know about filing their taxes:

Ready to move on to the next step? Click below

Want HELP?

If you still have questions or would like to schedule an your free tax prep appointment, call 211 or visit our friends the Miami Tax Pros