Open the Miami Tax Guide on your Phone or update your browser

We've noticed you're currently using an old version of Internet Explorer. We are working to make the Miami Tax Guide compatible with old browsers. In the meantime, please open this site on your phone or consider updating your browser.

Should I file?

You may want to file
if you’re undocumented

Around 4 million undocumented immigrants file their taxes every year. We know the decision to file feels scary, but we're here to help you make the best decision for you.

It really helps with legal status

Filing taxes is helpful if you’re thinking about applying for residency or citizenship. It shows good character on your application and that you want to follow the rules.

It's safe

The IRS doesn’t share information with ICE (Immigration, Customs Enforcement). You can't get in trouble by filing your taxes. 

You can file with an ITIN

If you don’t have a social security number, you file taxes with an ITIN. The ITIN stands for Individual Tax Identification Number. You use it to file if you're undocumented. 

How to get an ITIN

Other things people want to know before deciding to file taxes:

Ready to move on to the next step? Click below

Want HELP?

If you still have questions or would like to schedule an your free tax prep appointment, call 211 or visit our friends the Miami Tax Pros